Monday, January 4, 2010

Thai Chilly & Garlic Prawns

My mom used to make these wonderful chilli prawns. I used to love them so much that every time I ate them, I wanted to have more and more of it. Although the recipe was perfect, I wanted to give it a thai touch. So over the years, I experimented with it and finally came out with what I now call Thai Chilly & Garlic Prawns. I dedicate this recipe to my mom who is my all time inspiration.

Thai Chilly & Garlic Prawns

A thick aromatic gravy with wonderful spicy prawns that blend perfectly with steamed rice.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes

Serves : 4


Ingredients:

20 medium sized prawns cleaned, de-veined and shells removed
1 large onion finely chopped
2-3 big cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1 tbsp of thai red curry paste
1 tbsp of tomato ketchup
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 tsp of red chilli paste
1 tsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
1 spring onion finely chopped for garnish
corriander leaves for garnish


Method:

  • First marinate the prawns with salt and turmeric and keep aside for 10 minutes
  • Then take oil in a pan. When hot, add garlic, green chillies and saute for a minute
  • Then add the onions to it and continue frying till the onions are pink in colour and transparent.
  • Then add the tomatoes and continue frying. Add the tomato paste and fry for another minute.
  • Then add the thai red curry paste, red chilli paste, soy sauce, salt, lemon juice and fry for another 2 minutes.
  • Finally add the prawns and cover and cook them for about 5 minutes. Add a few drops of water so that they don't stick to the pan.
  • When they are almost cooked, add the ketchup and give it a good stir.
  • You can garnish them with spring onions and coriander leaves.
  • Serve this with steamed rice.






No comments:

Post a Comment