This dish is a combination of potatoes and cauliflower cooked in a variety of Indian spices. Aloo Gobhi is a wonderful accompaniment with rice as well as any Indian bread.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1/4 kg of cauliflower washed and cut into small pieces
1 potato peeled and cut into big squares
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1 green chilly finely chopped
1/2 tsp of ginger paste
1/2 tsp of garlic paste
1/4 tsp of asafoetida powder (hing)
1/2 garam masala powder (I used badshah garam masala)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 tsp of coriander powder
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of chaat masala powder
1 tsp of lime juice
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1/2 tsp of sugar
corriander leaves for garnish
- Take a non-stick pan and add some oil to it.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and hing to it
- When they start to crackle, add onions and fry nicely till pink
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and the green chillies.
- Fry for a while and then add the tomatoes and the tomato paste.
- Continue frying for about 2 minutes
- Then add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, salt and stir well.
- Then add the potatoes and some water. Cover the pan and cook for about 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, add the cut cauliflower to it and mix well. Again cover the pan and cook for another 3 minutes
- Finally, add the garam masala, chaat masala, lime juice and sugar and give it a good stir.
- Garnish with some finely cut corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread.