This morning when I looked into the refrigerator, was wondering what to cook for lunch. First thought of making a simple peas pulao, but then I saw a packet of mushrooms lying in the refrigerator and so decided to make something out of it...hence created my very own "Mushroom Pulao".
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 5
1/2 Potato cut into cubes (you could add more if you like)
1 cup green peas (optional)
1 medium onion finely cut lengthwise
3 cups basmati rice (rice cooker measure)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp garam masala powder
a few coriander leaves finely chopped
a few mint leaves finely chopped
2 tbsp yogurt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 dry red chillies
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the preheated pressure cooker and add all the spices one by one.
- When the jeera and caraway seeds start spluttering, add mint leaves, coriander leaves and fry them for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown. Then add ginger-garlic paste, garam masala powder, salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Then add the mushrooms, potatoes, green peas and mix well
- When mushrooms get half cooked, add curd and stir it well. Then add 6 cups of water. When water starts boiling, add 3 cups of rice and pressure cook it.
- Garnish with a red chilli and coriander leaves
- Serve hot with cucumber raita or pomegranate raita.