This is an Italian pastry which serves as a perfect tea time snack as well as a christmas delicacy.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 1 hour.
1/4 stick unsalted butter
1 cup almonds toasted @ 350 degree F for 8-10 minutes
1 tsp lemon zest
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4th cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp anise extract or anise seeds
Parchment paper and baking sheets
- Beat the eggs and the extract and set aside
- Combine flour, baking powder and sugar for 30 seconds
- Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms.
- Add almonds about halfway through on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll 1/2 of the dough into a log about 10" * 2".
- Place it on a baking sheet about 3" apart.
- Bake for about 40 minutes @ 300 degrees F.
- Remove and cool for about 10 minutes
- Cut into 1/2" slices on a diagnol
- Bake for 10 minutes on each side
- Cool and store in an airtight container.