This is one of my favorite snack. My mom is an expert at making this. I think a lot of patience and effort is required to get the proper texture of this. I tried it for the first time and it tasted really good. Though, I know I can improve a lot.
So here goes the recipe...
Preparation Time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4
2 cups chana dal (split bengal gram), soaked in water for 4 hours
2 cups jaggery
2 cups refined flour
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4th tsp nutmeg powder
a generous pinch of saffron
- Drain and cook chana dal in a pressure cooker till soft. Drain out excess water till the dal is absolutely dry.
- Add jaggery and cook further till blended and mash into a soft paste.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron and freshly grated nutmeg powder and mix well. Form 20 balls of equal size and reserve.
- Mix refined flour, oil, water and turmeric powder. Make a very soft, sticky dough.
- This has to be knead well. Use oil to knead.
- Divide into 20 equal portions.
- With greased palms, take one portion of dough and flatten it into a disc of the size of the palm.
- Place a ball of "chana jaggery" paste in the centre and fold the disc from all sides to cover the paste completely.
- On a well-floured board, gently roll out each poli to a 6 inches disc. This can get very tricky as the paste does try to slide out. Use a little flour if that happens and then roll.
- Roast each poli on a hot griddle with no oil. Roast on both sides till well done and aromatic. Smear with ghee on both sides when done.
- Serve warm with clarified butter or a bowl of milk.