We had planned to have some of Emily's friends sleepover on Sat, so when I was at the grocery store, I picked up two packets of fettuccine (flat pasta) and planned to serve the kids a pasta feast for dinner.
These kids seem to love pasta because they get to play with noodles. and by throwing in some vegetables, its an easy way to get them to have their fill of healthy nutrients.
Fettuccine pasta served with sautéed mixed exotic vegetables and stir-fried chicken breasts.
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
For the pasta:
1 pkt of fresh fettuccine pasta
3 litres of water
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of salt
For the sauce:
1/2 cup of good tomato based pasta sauce ( I used the classico brand)
1 cup of baby spinach
1 cup of broccolli flowers
1 cup of thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup of sugar snow peas cut into half
1 cup of fresh bean sprouts
2 chicken breasts
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of butter
salt to taste
pepper to taste
- Heat 3 litres of water in a pan. When it starts boiling, add the salt and the oil and then add the pasta to it. Stir continuously and cook for 5 minutes. Then quickly strain the water and add some olive oil to it in order to prevent it from sticking
- In the meantime, marinate the chicken breast with salt and pepper and keep aside for 10 minutes
- Fill another small pan with 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, add the broccolli, snow peas and salt and allow it to cook for 5 minutes. Then strain the water and keep aside.
- Take a frying pan and shallow fry the marinated chicken breasts till they are no longer pink in the middle. Then cool them for a while and cut them into thin strips.
- Finally, take a wok, add some butter to it.
- Then add the mushrooms and fry them nicely for about 3 minutes. Then add in the boiled brocolli and snow peas and mix well. Then throw in some baby spinach and bean sprouts and keep cooking for 2 minutes
- Then add in the chicken strips, soy sauce, salt to taste and remove from the stove.
- Take a plate. Put some fettuccine pasta in the centre. On top of it, add some of the mixed vegetables and chicken. Then put 2 tbsp of pasta sauce on it. Garnish with some chicken strips.
- Delicious pasta is now ready to eat
Note: Once the pasta is cooked, strain the water from the pasta and then quickly pour some cold water over the pasta. This will prevent it from cooking further. Then strain the water again and quickly add oil to the pasta to prevent it from sticking to each other.