This morning after a busy day at home, I decided to watch my favorite food network channel. I saw Jamie Oliver teaching people to cook spaghetti and meatballs and that gave me the idea for today's dinner :)
I didn't have spaghetti at home so decided to make this delicious spicy gravy with potatoes and beef meatballs. This recipe does not have a lot of gravy and is ideal to eat with rice, plain parathas or also as a sandwich.
So here goes the recipe...
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
for the meatballs:
1 pkt of ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 small egg, beaten
1 tsp of cornstarch
3 green chillies finely cut
1 tsp soy sauce
salt to taste
for the gravy:
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 potatoes cut into quarters
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp patak's madras curry paste or any curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp of fresh coriander finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients for the meatball in a bowl and combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs. You will have about 15 meatballs depending on the size.
- Take a frying pan with little oil and shallow fry the meatballs and keep aside
- Take a non-stick pan. Heat some oil. Add cumin seeds to it. When it crackles, add the onions and fry nicely. Then add the green chillies and the ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Then add in the tomatoes and the tomato paste to it.
- To this mixture, add the patak's curry paste and fry nicely. Also add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- To this, add the potatoes and some water and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add the fried meatballs and again cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- You can serve this with pulao or plain parathas.
Note: If you don't have enough time to make the meatballs, you could also make this dish with readily available meatballs. I have tried preparing this dish with the Swedish meatballs available in the Walmart's frozen section and it turns out equally good.