Friday, February 26, 2010

Dirty Rice with Smoked Sausages


A few days back I saw this post of Dirty rice with smoked sausages on the food network site. I was wondering why the hell this rice is called "Dirty" and hence was very curious to try it out :) Last week, I decided to make this recipe with a few changes in the ingredients. I must say it turned out really well.

I really liked the flavor of the spices combined with the sausages. This dish is very similar to the Indian rice pulao with some added sausages to it. But, what makes this dish really unique is the cayenne pepper which gives this dish a whole lot of flavors.

More than me, my daughter enjoyed this dish that I was surprised when she asked me for a second helping :) So, I will only say this dish is a must try for all and yes, there is nothing dirty about it :)

Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients :

2 cups long grain basmati rice
5 cups chicken stock, divided (I used Knorr chicken cubes)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound, canned chicken sausages, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Method :

  • First make the chicken stock as per the directions on the packet and keep aside.
  • Heat some oil in a vessel and fry 2 cups rice and then combine the rice with 4 cups of chicken stock and cover and cook till the rice is done.
  • Meanwhile, in another pan, heat some oil and brown the sausages and keep them aside.
  • In the same oil, add some garlic and onion and fry nicely till the onions are golden brown.
  • Then add the celery and green bell peppers and fry again for another 5 minutes.
  • Season with salt and pepper and add 1 cup of chicken stock and cayenne pepper. Now add the sausages back to the pan and cover and cook till the stock has reduced.
  • Then add the rice and parsley to the sausages and stir thoroughly.
  • Serve hot with any salad of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment