Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Plantain or Banana Chips






These chips are also known as "Kerala chips". I love buying these chips and munching on them all the time. They are really very addictive. Last Christmas, my aunt made these chips at home. I found them pretty simple to make and decided to give it a try. Today, I was in mood to eat some banana chips and so decided to make them as tea time snack.
Traditionally, these chips are made with coconut oil but I used corn oil and it tasted equally good. I didn't have the chip maker so simply used my knife to cut thin slices. As I was making them, my daughter gobbled down most of it. Well, nothing tastes better than home-made food and I was happy to make these home-made banana chips. My hubby and daughter simply loved it.


Ingredients :

3 raw green plantains
salt
oil for deep frying

Method :

  • First peel the bananas and cut them into thin slices
  • Dissolve a teaspoon full of salt in little water and keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and fry the chips on medium flame.


  • Once it is half done, reduce the flame and drop half a spoon of salt water into the oil.
  • Fry the chips till golden brown and drain the excess oil using a kitchen towel or tissue.
  • Serves as a perfect tea-time snack.
Note: Always reduce the flame while adding salt water. Adding salt water to the oil helps in uniform distribution of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment