A "bhurji" is a term used to describe a dryish masala dish which is just a mixture of stuff in small pieces. e.g: pieces of paneer, potato, etc. A very commonly eaten bhurji is the egg version - which is effectively a spicy scrambled egg dish or more accurately is probably best described as a scrambled omelette comprising a masala of eggs, potatoes and onions.
Although I have mentioned the ingredients below, you could always add your own spices and make it more creative.
Vegetarians can use grated paneer instead of eggs and make paneer bhurji in the same manner.
I have to say that this is a really fast and easy dish to make and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or as a quick bite.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 3
4 eggs beaten well
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped or 2 tbsp tomato puree
1 medium potato cut into small cubes and deep fried.
2 green chillies finely cut
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp milk
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
a small bunch of fresh coriander finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and add onions to it. Fry the onions nicely till they are golden brown in colour.
- To this add, ginger garlic paste and green chillies
- Then add the tomato puree and fry again for a minute or two
- Now add the spices (turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, salt) and fry it well for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the fried potatoes and allow it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the beaten eggs and milk and keep stirring continously to ensure that the eggs do not stick to the pan.
- When you see the mixture coming together, check the seasoning and add the freshly chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with chapatis or you could also eat it as a sandwich between 2 buttered slices of bread.
Note: The recipe above mentions potatoes but the picture shown has no potatoes in them because I didn't have any potatoes readily available at home.