Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Zebra Cake




I always found this cake very interesting. I have been dreaming of making this cake, especially because it looks very attractive. I thought it would be very difficult to make this cake until, I visited one of my friend's place and she told me how to make it. It sounded so easy that I just couldn't wait to go home and experiment it out in my kitchen. So, today I decided to bake this cake. My 21/2 year old daughter, Emily was also keen on helping me make this cake. It was lot of fun baking it up and Emily enjoyed licking the left over batter from the bowl and it was an overall fun experience. Needless to say, the cake turned out really good and we all enjoyed eating it as much as we did baking it.

Preparation Time : 40 minutes

Ingredients :

2 Eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tbsp dark cocoa powder

Method :
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar until creamy and light in colour.
  • Add milk and oil, and continue beating till well blended
  • Add vanilla essence to the mixture. Gradually, add flour, baking soda and salt and beat until the mixture is smooth and the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated
  • Now, divide the mixture into 2 equal portions. Keep one portion plain and to the other add the dark cocoa powder.
  • Preheat the over to 400 degree F and grease the baking dish with butter and keep aside.
  • The most important part is assembling the cake batter in the baking pan. This is what you do: Scoop 3 heaped tbsp of the plain batter into the centre of the baking pan. Then scoop 3 tbsp of the cocoa batter and pour it in the centre on top of the plain batter.
  • Do not spread the batter or tilt the pan to distribute the mixture. It will spread by itself and fill the pan gradually.
  • Continue alternating the batters till you finish them.
  • Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes
  • This is how it looks when it come out of the oven.
  • Let it cool for a while and then slice and serve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment