Chole is the hindi name for Chick peas. This is a medium spicy dish with a blend of Indian spices.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
500 gms canned chickpeas or chole
1 thai green chilli finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp Badshah chole masala powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
2 tbsp oil
- Heat some oil in a pan. Then add the cumin seeds and fry for a minute
- To this add the green chillies, ginger garlic paste and chopped onions and fry till golden brown
- Then add the tomatoes and fry nicely for about 5 minutes
- To this add all the spices (turmeric powder, chilli powder, chole masala powder, salt and lemon juice) and mix well.
- Then drain the water from the canned chickpeas and add them to the spices. Mix nicely and cook for about 5 minutes
- Finally add the garam masala and give a final stir.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with some Indian chapatis.
Note: I have used canned chickpeas but, you could also use fresh chickpeas. If you are using fresh ones, then soak them overnight in water and then pressure cook them the next day.