King fish or Surmai is one of my favorite Indian fish. While in India, I used to cook this quite often as this is one of my husband's favorite dishes.
Last week I went to a Chinese market in Canada and found this fish there. I couldn't wait to come home and cook it. Needless to say that everyone enjoyed and relished it !!!
I have learned this recipe from my mother. A bowl of hot steamed rice with surmai curry simply tastes amazing.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
6-8 Surmai fish pieces
1 tbsp vinegar
salt to taste
a small bunch of coriander leaves finely chopped
3 tbsp oil
to grind to a paste:
1 meduim onion chopped
3 whole dry kashmiri chillies
2 whole dry madras chillies
2 whole dry bedki chillies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup coconut milk or 1/2 coconut freshly grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp tamarind paste
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 onion finely chopped
a few curry leaves
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a mixer, grind all the ingredients as mentioned above to a fine paste with little water.
- Take some oil in a frying pan and fry the marinated fish on both sides and keep aside.
- Take another pan and heat some oil in it. Then add the curry leaves and the finely chopped onion and fry nicely.
- Then add the ground masala and fry it well for about 5 minutes
- Then add enough water to the masala to make it a gravy (not too thick or not too thin) like consistency
- Bring this to a boil. Then add the vinegar and again bring to a boil. Check seasoning.
- To this add the fried fish pieces and cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with steamed rice.