I love ordering naan in restaurants and thought why not try making them at home. So, the day I made malai koftas, I decided to make naan with it as this is a good combination. The recipe for making naan is very simple and within a few hours, you will be able to enjoy restaurant style naan at home.
Preparation time : 15 minutes + 4 hours for the dough to rise
Makes : 6 Naans
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp oil
21/2 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- First dissolve the yeast in water and keep aside for a while
- In the meantime, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and mix well.
- To the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients i.e yogurt, oil and the yeast mixture and knead well to form a soft dough.
- Cover this dough with a cling wrap and keep aside for 3 -4 hours.
- After 4 hours, you will see that the dough has risen and has almost become double in quantity.
- Add a little flour to the dough and make 6 big balls.
- In the meantime, pre heat the oven at 500 degree F for about 30 minutes
- Roll them out in a rectangle shape to 1/4 inch thickness. Do not make them very thin.
- Prick them with a fork so that they don't rise while baking in the oven.
- Add your favourite toppings on top of the naan and put them in the oven.
- You could put 2 or 3 naans at a time adding your favourite toppings
- It should take about 3 minutes to get the naan ready.
- As soon as they are out from the oven, brush them with some melted butter
- Serve them hot with any gravy of your choice.