I love clams which also known as "Kubhe" in Konkani. During my visit to the Chinese market, I purchased them and decided to make this dish the mangalorean way. I have watched my mom make it and it is really very delicious. This dish can be eaten with rice and dal (lentil soup).
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3
500 gms of clams
1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut
3-4 cloves of garlic crushed
6-7 curry leaves
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
to grind to a paste:
2 bedki mirchi (chilli)
2 madras mirchi (chilli)
1 medium onion chopped and shallow fried
1 tsp cumin seeds roasted
1 tsp coriander seeds roasted
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
5 peppercorns roasted
1 tsp tamarind pulp
2 cloves of garlic chopped
salt to taste
- Boil the clams in 1/2 cup water adding some salt to it till the clams open up.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and add some water and grind to a fine paste
- In a pan, heat about 2 tbsp of oil and fry the coconut nicely till slightly brown. Then put it in the blender and crush it slightly and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in another pan. Add the mustard seeds, crushed garlic and curry leaves and then add the ground paste and fry nicely.
- Then add the boiled clams to this paste and mix it well. Add salt if required.
- Then add the coconut to it and mix it well.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.