Whenever I get Palak (Spinach), I generally end up making Palak Paneer. Today, I wanted to make something different. So decided to combine Palak with Moong dal. This is a good combination and the dal turned out really yummy as I served it over some steamed basmati rice.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
11/2 cup (rice cooker measure) moong dal
1/2 bunch palak (spinach) washed and finely chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 tbsp Patak's curry paste (you could also use any curry powder)
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pressure cook the dal with water, turmeric powder and salt upto 3 whistles. Allow it to cool and then mash it well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add some cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the onions and fry nicely till brown
- Then add the ginger garlic paste, green chillies and fry nicely
- Now add the tomatoes and fry again for a while
- Then add the curry paste, salt, sugar, chilli powder and the chopped spinach.
- Fry it nicely for about 5 minutes
- Finally add the cooked dal to this and water as required and mix well.
- The dal should neither be too thick or thin, so adjust the water accordingly
- Serve hot over some steamed basmati rice.