I was not a great fan of dahi vadas until I visited my sister in the US. Once, she made these dahi vadas for me and they were so yummy that I just couldn't stop eating them. From then on, I simply love them. Of all the street foods available in India, my husband loves dahi vada the most. So, I decided to make it for him this weekend. Not to mention, they were really very good.
Preparation Time : 30 minutes + overnight soaking time
1 cup Urad dal
500 ml yogurt
1 green chilli finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
red chilli powder
chaat masala powder
coriander leaves chopped finely for garnish
tamarind sauce (to make tamarind sauce, simply combine tamarind paste with some sugar and little water)
- Clean, wash and soak the dal overnight and the next day grind it to a smooth paste adding a little salt, hing, green chillies and ginger paste to it.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop spoonful of batter and deep fry till they are golden brown.
- Take the hot vadas and put them in cold water for about 2-3 minutes
- Now take them out of the water, squeeze the water and keep them aside.
- In the meantime, in a bowl add the yoghurt and beat it nicely till it smooth. Add some sugar to sweeten the yoghurt and mix it well.
- In a bowl, first put 2 vadas at the bottom. Top it with some sweetened yoghurt to cover the vadas, and on top of the yoghurt sprinkle some chaat masala, red chilli powder, 1 tsp tamarind sauce and some coriander leaves and serve immediately.
- Repeat the same with the other vadas.