One of my dear friend is suffering from Cancer. I have been accompanying her to the hospital for her chemo treatment. It is so sad to see some young kids going through this sickness. I have come across so many young and old people with different kinds of cancer and it is so sad to see them suffer. But, I must say that this experience has helped me appreciate life better rather than simply taking it for granted.
While waiting at the hospital for her turn, I was whiling my time reading a few magazines. Suddenly, I saw this interesting recipe of Crab cakes with Pickled garlic and cucumber relish. The picture looked so appetizing that it simply caught my attention. I immediately grabbed a paper and pen from the receptionist and wrote it down. Last week, I tried it out at home and it came out really good. So, thought of sharing it with all of you...
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + refrigerating time
Makes :12 crab cakes
2 tbsp butter
2 green onions finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
250 gms crab meat drained
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
11/2 cups panko breadcrumbs - divided into 2 portions (I used regular breadcrumbs)
1 tbsp olive oil
- Melt the butter in a pan. Cook onions, celery and red bell pepper for about 5 minutes and then transfer it into a bowl.
- To this, add the crab meat, 1 egg, lime juice, mayonnaise, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder, 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs. Stir till it well combined.
- Make 12 crab cakes and freeze it for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Brush the baking sheet with olive oil
- Beat one egg in the bowl and put the remaining panko breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip the crab cakes first into the egg and then sprinkle it with panko breadcrumbs and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes on one side and then flip it and bake again for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Pickled Garlic & Cucumber Relish on top.
Pickled Garlic & Cucumber Relish
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 1/2 cup
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp cucumber finely chopped
1 tbsp red bell pepper finely chopped
2 tbsp mango finely chopped
1 tsp red onion finely chopped
1 tsp cilantro finely chopped
1/2 tsp Indian pickled garlic (you can find this in the Indian Grocery stores)
- Mix everything together and serve it on top of the crab cakes.