I generally cook a lot of chicken. I am not too fond of beef or any other meat. But, one day this friend of mine taught me to make this delicious beef roast. I am not exaggerating, it is simply amazing. The best part of this recipe is that, you can make the beef roast and then have different variations of it. You can either make chilly beef out of the roast or beef roast sandwiches or simply have beef roast with some vegetables and mashed potatoes. So, just one simple recipe can help you prepare 3 days dinner. Isn't that so convenient?
So, here goes the recipe :
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 2-3 hours
Serves : 6 people
for the Beef Roast:
11/2 lb beef eye of round
3 big onion chopped fine
3 big tomatoes chopped fine
2 tbsp ginger paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
4-5 kashmiri whole red chillies
1 tbsp clvoes
5-6 cinnamon sticks
2 tbsp cane or rice vinegar (if you don't have this, even regular vinegar would do)
salt & pepper to taste
- First prick the eye of round with a fork on all sides. Then, apply salt all over the eye of round. Then, rub the ginger-garlic paste nicely on all sides. Finally rub the pepper and pour the vinegar on it and keep it aside for about 1/2 hour. (You could also marinate this the previous night and keep it in the refrigerator)
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. When the oil is hot, throw in the cloves and cinnamon sticks, whole red chillies and fry for a minute or two.
- Then, add the onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Then, add the tomatoes and salt and fry for about 10 minutes.
- On top of this gravy, place the marinated beef and pour in 1/4 cup water and cover the cooker and wait for the pressure cooker to release 3 whistles.
- After the 3 whistles, lower the heat and without opening the cooker, let it cook on slow flame for about 25-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the meat from the gravy and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Increase the heat and thicken the gravy. This will take about 30 minutes to thicken the gravy.
- After the meat has rested, cut it into thin long strips and mix it with the gravy.
- Delicious beef roast is ready.
For Beef Chilly:
2 big onions cut into thick round circles
2 big tomatoes cut into thick round circles
3-4 green chillies slit (depending on your spice intake)
1/2 fresh lemon squeezed to get juice.
- Place the cooked roasted beef with the gravy in a pan.
- On top of it, place the onions and tomatoes and the slit green chillies.
- Adjust the seasoning and pour in the lemon juice.
- On slow flame, keep mixing the onions & tomatoes into the beef till you see the tomatoes getting mushed and the onions turning slightly translucent.
- Remove from heat and serve it with some roasted potatoes or grilled vegetables
For Beef Roast Sandwiches:
Serves : 1
1 hot dog bread
1 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp beef chilly
some shredded ice-berg lettuce
some shredded cheese (any cheese of your choice)
- Cut the hot dog bread into half and apply mayonnaise on both sides.
- On top of it, place about 3 tbsp of beef chilly
- Sprinkle with some shredded cheese of your choice and grill it in the oven for about 5 minutes till the cheese is melted.
- On top of the cheese, put some shredded ice-berg lettuce and serve immediately.