I wanted to try out different marinades for Tilapia. I had heard a lot of Panko breadcrumbs. These are basically Japanese breadcrumbs and have a nice crunchy effect. So, this is what I did with it...
2 Tilapia fillets
1 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp of oil
- Clean and dry the tilapia fillets and keep aside.
- Combine the mayonnaise and the mustard together. Add thyme, garlic powder, chilli flakes to it and rub this marinade on the tilapia fillets.
- Let this rest for about 2 hours in the refrigerator
- After 2 hours, bring them to room temperature.
- In a plate, combine Panko breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
- Roll the tilapia fillets in the panko breadcrumbs. Ensure that they are coated with breadcrumbs on all sides.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry these panko coated tilapia fillets till you get a nice golden colour on both sides.
- You could also bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.