Couscous is basically a Mediterranean dish. In general, I am not too fond of couscous and have never prepared it at home. But, one of my friend taught me this recipe. It was very easy to prepare and I liked this recipe of couscous, as a salad. I found it very nutritious and tasty. This recipe serves as a good side dish with fish, chicken or lamb or also a salad.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
- 1 cup fine couscous
- 11/2 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp parsley or coriander finely chopped
- 1 small can of mixed beans
- 2 tbsp of roughly chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tbsp dried blueberry
- 2 tbsp dried cranberry
- salt to tast
- Bring 11/2 cup water to a boil.
- Pour this hot water over the couscous and cover and keep it for about 15 minutes
- Then with the help of fork, gently flake it like the way you would handle cooked rice.
- Drain the water from the canned mixed beans and rinse it nicely under the tap and mix these beans with the couscous.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the couscous and gently mix it together with a fork.
- Chill it for about 1/2 hour in the refrigerator and serve it as a side or a salad.
Note: You can customize this salad and put in any ingredients of your choice. You can add grilled chicken breast to it if you like or some smoked sausages. Also serves as a great snack idea.