This is one of my favorite Indo Chinese soup. I order it all the time at restaurants. This soup hardly takes any time to make if you have ready chicken stock with you. But, I wanted to make the stock at home. The homemade stock gives the soup a nice taste.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
1 small packet of chicken drumsticks (about 12 small pieces)
1 cup celery chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 carrots diced
1 onion diced
salt to taste
4 cups of water
1 can of cream style sweet corn
1/2 cup of cooked shredded chicken
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp of green chilli sauce
2 tbsp of hot and sweet chilli sauce
2 stalk of green onion diced
3 tbsp of corn starch dissolved i a little water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients for the chicken stock in a pressure cooker and close the lid and cook on medium heat for 2-3 whistles or until the chicken is cooked.
- Strain the liquid from the cooker in a large bowl
- Keep the cooked chicken pieces and separate the chicken from the bone, shred it nicely and discard the veggies.
- In a big bowl, combine the stock with the cream style sweet corn.
- To this add, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, all the sauces and bring it to a boil
- When you see it boiling, add the shredded cooked chicken to it.
- Then add the beaten egg slowly and keep stirring until the eggs form fine threads in the soup.
- Finally, add the cornstarch and you will see the soup thickening.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes and then you can take it out and garnish it with some sesame oil, green chillies soaked in vinegar and diced green onions.
Note: You can make the vegetarian version by using vegetable stock and using cooked vegetables instead of shredded chicken.